How & When to Apply for Financial Aid
- Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. We encourage you to begin this application as soon as possible. The FAFSA can be started as early as January 1. Our school code is G31733. The deadline for submitting the FAFSA for the fall semester is June 30. Please allow 3-4 weeks for the Department of Education to review and process your application.
- Once the student’s FAFSA is received by the Office of Financial Aid, the student may be contacted by mail if any additional information is required. Information required by the Department of Education may include a verification of income, tax returns, or proof of citizenship.
- By June 30, students should complete the Entrance Loan Counseling for Unsubsidized Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans which may be accessed at www.studentloans.gov.
- Upon completion of the student’s financial aid file, the student will receive an award letter detailing their loan types and amounts for the academic year. This will be sent from the Office of Financial Aid to either the permanent address on file or to the student’s SLS email address.
- Once students receive their award letter, they must then complete either (or both) the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and Federal Graduate PLUS Loan applications, which can also be found on at www.studentloans.gov. The Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loan application process for financial aid award year begins June 1. SLS students may NOT begin the application process before that date. Applications for Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loans must be completed prior to August 1st.
- Master Promissory Note (MPN). Pursuant to federal law, students must complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session and a MPN before funds may be disbursed to the law school or to the student. Both may be completed online on the www.studentloans.gov website. By signing the MPN, students are confirming their understanding that SLS may make new loans to the student for the duration of their education without the student having to sign another MPN (MPN’s are valid for 10 years). Each academic year, SLS will disburse loan proceeds to the student’s account as indicated on the Award Letter sent to all students upon award of financial aid. Please be sure to complete an MPN for both the Unsubsidized Stafford and Grad Plus Loan to avoid delays in processing. Allow approximately 14 days from the completion of the loan application for the Office of Financial Aid to receive an acknowledgement of your aid package from the Federal government.
- Eligibility for financial aid is reviewed at the end of the drop/add period each semester and appropriate adjustments are made at that time.
Note: FAFSA renewal is required annually.
Students must reapply for financial aid every year. If you submitted a prior year FAFSA and received at least one valid Student Aid Report (SAR) you may complete a Renewal FAFSA.
- January 1 FASFA is available for upcoming academic year.
- June 1 Accepting Unsubsidized and/or Graduate PLUS Loan applications at www.studentloans.gov
- June 30 FAFSA completed at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- June 30 Entrance Loan Counseling completed (once FAFSA is completed)
- August 1 Application deadline to apply for Stafford and/or Graduate PLUS Loans at www.studentloans.gov.
- August 1 MPN completed when applying for Stafford and/or Graduate PLUS Loans
Students who have not completed their financial aid prior to August 1, will be required to pay their tuition in full, or enroll in the SLS Installment Payment Program.
For answers to our frequently asked questions, please click here.
Steps for Applying & Receiving Financial Aid (updated 3/25/20)